If you're looking for a charming small town to visit in the United States, look no further than Natchitoches, Louisiana. There are many fun things to do in Natchitoches. This historic town is located in north-central Louisiana and is known for its Creole culture and beautiful architecture. There are many things to do here, from exploring the history and geography of the area to enjoying the great food and music. In this blog post, we'll give you a guide to visiting Natchitoches. We'll discuss why you should visit, what you can see and do there, and when is the best time to go. So pack your bags and get ready for a Southern adventure!
History of Natchitoches
Natchitoches is a city and the parish seat of Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana. It is located on the banks of Cane River Lake. The population was 18,323 at the 2010 census.
The City of Natchitoches was originally established as part of the Spanish Province of Texas in 1714. It was incorporated as a town in 1779 and became a city in 1819. The City is noted for its rich colonial history, beautiful architecture, diverse cultural heritage, and lively music and arts scene. It is home to a number of cultural festivals throughout the year, including the Louisiana Pirate Festival, Christmas in Natchitoches, and the Louisiana Film Festival.
One of the most famous movies filmed in Natchitoches is Steel Magnolias. It was filmed at the Daryl Hall plantation home. Other movies that were filmed in Natchitoches are O Brother Where Art Thou? A Walk to Remember, and Ray.
There are many fun things to do in Natchitoches. Here are some of our favorites:
- Visit the Cane River Creole National Historical Park to learn about the area's rich history. It serves to preserve the resources and cultural landscapes of the Cane River region and to showcase the Creole culture.
- Take a walk or bike ride through one of the city's parks, These were highlighted in many of the scenes in the film Steal Magnolia's.
- Visit the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame and Northwest Louisiana History Museum. This is a must see location for anyone who is loves sports and local history of sports in Louisiana.
- Enjoy a day on Cane River Lake or the Red River.
- Sample some of the delicious Cajun and Creole cuisine for which Natchitoches is known. One of my favorite expeiences was the sampling of the meat pie at the Lasyone's Meat Pie Kitchen
- Attend one of the city's many festivals, like the Louisiana Pirate Festival or the Natchitoches Christmas Festival.
- Take a ghost tour of the city's historic district.
- Explore the city's beautiful architecture, including its many plantation homes.
- Shop at one of Natchitoches' charming boutiques and art galleries.
Places to Stay in Natchitoches
There are many places to stay when you are visiting. Sometimes you just want to have a place away from the main town area. When we visited, we enjoyed our stay at The Cabins of Horseshoe Hills Ranch. It was a great place to have some quiet time away from visiting the town.
There are so many fun things to do in Natchitoches that everyone is sure to find something they enjoy! So come visit us soon! 🙂
If you’re looking for a unique and exciting destination to visit, consider Natchitoches, Louisiana. This historic town in north-central Louisiana is home to a diverse cultural heritage and a lively music and arts scene. You may also be familiar with Natchitoches from the film Steel Magnolias, which was set and filmed here. And if you love Cajun and Creole cuisine, you’ll be in heaven – there are many restaurants to choose from. Finally, don’t forget to check out some of the area’s plantation homes – they offer a fascinating glimpse into Louisiana history. Are you excited about visiting now?